The 2017 Che Bandoneon International Competition will be held in Stowe, Vermont USA from August 14 – 20, 2017 as a part of the 2017 Stowe Tango Music Festival. The Competition is open to bandoneon players of all nationalities and at least 18 years of age by August 1, 2017. All application materials must be submitted using the online application form.The Application opens on January 1, 2017.
April 1 : Application Deadline
May 1 : Video Submission Deadline
May 15 : Announcement of the Finalists
August 14 : Finalists join 2017 Stowe Tango Music Festival
August 20 : Finals and Award Ceremony
There is a $25 application fee, payable by check or by online via Paypal (major credit cards are accepted). You must pay the application fee to complete your application. This fee is non-refundable.
First Place : $2000 (USD)
Second Place : $1500 (USD)
Third Place : $1000 (USD)
PRELIMINARY ROUND REQUIREMENTS
Recorded Video Submission – Deadline: May 1
All contestants of the 2017 Che Bandoneon Competition are required to submit videos of:
• One solo of contestant's choice that does not exceed 10 minutes. The contestants should choose piece that best represents their ability on bandoneon and their musicality.
• One traditional tango from the selection of pieces chosen by the competition committee. You will receive three pieces on April 1, 2017 via email. You will choose one piece to learn and record by the May 1 deadline.
IMPORTANT: The competition will only accept the recorded videos uploaded to YouTube. After uploading, the contestant must complete the Video Submission Form by May 1. Please read the Competition Video Guidelines and YouTube Instructions and follow the directions on how to submit your preliminary round videos via YouTube and learn to make an acceptable video clip for the competition.
Professional equipment and/or studio space is not necessary.
FINAL ROUND REQUIREMENTS
All finalists of the 2017 Che Bandoneon Competition are required to:
• Rehearse and perform with Stowe Tango Music Festival Orchestra, the first bandoneon part of two orchestral works (orquesta tipica)
• Perform one solo of contestant's choice that is different from the first round.
FINAL ROUND INFORMATION
• All finalists must plan their own travel to and from Stowe, Vermont, arriving on Monday, August 14, 2017 and departing on Monday August 21, 2017. The festival can provide ground transportation from and to Burlington International Airport.
• The accommodation, meals and participation of Tango Academy will be paid by the Argentine Tango Society.
• Contestants must plan to stay for the whole duration of the Tango Academy in order to rehearse with the Stowe Tango Music Festival Orchestra.
• The final round of the competition and the award ceremony will be held on Sunday, August 20, 2017. In the finals, the contestants will perform their solo and the orchestral works.
• Each foreign participant is responsible for obtaining a Visa to enter the U.S. if you are selected for the final round, which will be held in Stowe, Vermont. In the case that you do not comply with this requirement before July 31, 2017, you may be replaced by the next candidate who qualifies for the final round.